Apparently not, since I have been lazy on the blogging front for the past two months.
Things have been busy - with my trip to DC for Thanksgiving, starting a new job at the Buenos Aires Herald, hibernating around Christmas to pretend that it wasn't really happening - so I've neglected you all. Not that anyone really cares except for Deb, maybe Doug and that's it.
Anyway. BA is hot, sunny and all the rest but at least this year our power didn't go out for 3+ days like it has in the past. Christmas Eve was fun - José's family is very small and everyone is over the age of 80, so it wasn't what I am used to or what I prefer, but we had a good time. Argentine Christmas food is notoriously disgusting (look up "pionono" and "vitel thoné" and try not to squirm) but this year I managed on champagne and prosciutto. And bread. Still had a massive hangover the next day though. Should have eaten more bread.
Christmas Day was a pleasant surprise. Our dear friends Bree and Spero - who are about to finish up their yearlong assignment here - invited us to join them at an American-esque food feast with other Embassy people. I wasn't sure what to expect and when we arrived, there were more than 30 people, massive amounts of meat on the grill, homemade tortillas, spicy salsas that made my heart sing, a roasted suckling pig, and tons of other goodies. It was heaven!!! I am thinking about that spread right now and wish I could go back in time and eat some more. Though it wasn't like a "real" Christmas - I'm sorry but Christmas in the summertime will never feel authentic to me - it was a really nice way to feel a bit more connected and to spend some time with fellow Amuricans in the southern hemisphere.
Josey and I treated ourselves to a mini staycation with an overnight stay at the Mio hotel in Recoleta. I just wanted to get away, without having to go anywhere, and since things here are just so damn expensive we went the non-traditional route for gifts and just splurged on this. The hotel was really great - it's owned by the Catena family so it's kind of wine-themed. All of the doors are made of French oak, and each room has a huge oak bathtub made of a single piece of wood. The beds were super comfy and you even have "on-tap" wines and champagne right there in the mini bar! The only thing I would have added would have been a pool ... When I went to the hotel's inauguration party there was a terrace space that was open to all guests. However when we went back up there on Sunday to check it out we magically couldn't get out there. I'm not sure if it was because my brain wasn't functioning or because they changed things up. Oh well.
So what else? Work is fun, I like being required to watch the news and stalk Twitter during work hours. I'm still adjusting to the whole 4pm-10pm thing -- Especially like last night when I had to stick around until almost 11 because the President announced she has (benign) thyroid cancer -- but it's not the end of the world. At least I have all day to do things like garden and mill about.
We will be having a big fiesta at ours for New Year's and I am looking forward to not having to go anywhere to be surrounded by strangers. I am an urban misanthrope.
Ok I think I've brought you up to speed. Consider us re acquainted (I don't even know if I spelled that right ... my English is shot). Talk soon, need a bit of mint tea right now.
28 December 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment