16 September 2009

Noticias & Novedades


Ok soooo let's see, where to begin ? Things have been going well as Spring has come into full force in Buenos Aires. Warmer days and nice sunshine has made my life a whole lot better.

Today we all spent 3 hours getting "pre-ocupacionales" - medical tests that you're required to do before starting a new job. Ok, so I started working almost a year ago but we finally got around to doing it. Basically, you are required by law in Argentina to get a full medical exam, chest x-ray, blood and urine tests, and ECG before being hired by the new company. These tests are done by a random doctor and the results are given directly to your employer before you even get to see them (if you get to see them at all). That means your employer will know if you have tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, are pregnant, even cancer, before you do. Pretty weird. Not something that went over well in the office but we figured if we have to do it, we have to do it.

Our "breakfast" after giving blood was an alfajor and a hot chocolate. Nothing like an insane sugar rush to take the edge off. The ECG was done with this antiquated weird machine thing that was like little suction cups and clothespin-type things that they put all over my chest, abdomen, wrists and ankles. Apparently I passed with flying colors but I still wanted to know why they haven't been able to update the technology just a little bit here in the big bad Buenos Aires. I mean, the 1950s are over, yes ?

I finally figured out how tall I am in meters !!!! 1.73 thank you very much. Now I don't have to look around like a hopeless mess when people here ask me "Cuánto medís?" Phew. Crisis averted.

Afterward we had a delicious lunch of CBC - California Burrito Company - basically a fake wannabe Chipotle founded in BA by some American ex-pats. I'll say that it was enough to satisfy my craving but NOTHING will ever compare to Chipotle's guacamole and cilantro&lime rice. It's sad that the only things I really miss about America (besides Bella) are food. Dean & Deluca, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, cheap Indian buffets, affordable sushi .... Le sigh.

My BIRTHDAY is in 1 week. This is only monumental because this means that I have officially been living in Buenos Aires as a "grown up" for 1 year. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Woooooo. WEIRD. But fun ! Hooray !

If anyone would like to send presents, tokens of love/affection, pesos, dollars, or Indian food, let me know and I will send you my address.

I think that's really it. I am fully obsessed with buying mini-bouquets of freesia and dreaming of jasmine. My little plants from last spring are looking like they might be revived, which is awesome. I just need some cacti to complete my horticultural family.

And the countdown to Christmas in Punta del Este starts ..... NOW.

No comments: