06 May 2010

People Flying Across Plaza San Martín

I had no idea what to call this post, so I went the literal route.

All this week, there has been a flurry of activity across Plaza San Martín, a half block from home and where I both begin and end my quick commute to work every day. There's always something going on, whether it be the curly haired fellow who plays his bagpipe every evening (gives me goosebumps I have to admit. It's a beautiful sight, strolling across one of the my favorite parts of Buenos Aires as the sun goes down) or the numerous commercials and movie bits that are shot here.

The troupe of crazypeople who have been stirring up nonsense and getting everyone buzzing are some ladies and gents who set up these aerial spectacles in honor of Pierrot Bidon. Not sure who that is but let's assume he was a pioneer of flying across cables in urban landscapes. I am really excited to see the final product on Saturday night, since José sent me this video from YouTube to get a better idea of what it's all about. VIDEO

Pretty wacky and fun. So glad it's just steps from our house!

What else? ah, we finally watched "El Secreto de Sus Ojos" last night and I could not recommend it more! It won the Oscar for Best Foreign Film and I have to say, I wish it could have been candidate for Best Movie! (I liked "The Hurt Locker" but they don't even compare). Ricardo Darin is one of Argetina's most prized actors and he is absolutely incredible in the film. It's based on a true story about a man plagued by an unresolved murder and rape case in 1974 Buenos Aires, on the cusp of an oppressive and corrupt military dictatorship.

25 years later, recently retired, he delves back into the memories of the case, and I must say I was beyond impressed with the script, the acting and the movie as a whole. Rent, buy or Netflix it tonight!

Hmmm ... Fall is nice and crisp, I cannot wait for the weekend, and I am even more excited to continue with the wedding plans ! A beautiful early summer night ... Ahh I am smiling just thinking about it!

No comments: