10 October 2011

New Member of the Family

Juancito came to stay with us on Friday afternoon. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I started to get involved with the NGO "Proyecto 4 Patas" a few months ago and have been itching to volunteer my time and TLC ever since. Unfortunately their shelter is way out of town, so I can't go help out there. Another option is to be an "hogar de tránsito" (foster home) for a dog that is still in recovery and not ready to be placed in adoption yet. You can donate the time that you have - a few weeks to a few months or more - and the volunteers from P4P are willing to help supplement anything that you'll need during that time.

Andrea was the woman who had been taking care of Juancito for the past several months. She wanted to adopt him permanently - she does Reiki healing with animals and sounds like a really special person - but recently had to downsize her home. She has other dogs that don't accept little Juanci and having them all in the same space isn't a possibility. So he was brought to our door this past rainy Friday and has spent the weekend settling in!!

He's just about 10 months old and had distemper - a virus that can lead to death if untreated - which has left him without the use of his hind legs. Since he's young, and still has feeling in his legs, the doctors believe that with therapy he will be able to learn to walk again! That would be amazing. Given his disability he's quite creative in moving around and maneuvering himself to get what he needs. It's really amazing to witness! I love dogs.

It was definitely a shock at first, I can't lie. I've never had my own dog to take care of, let alone one that is disabled. The first two nights no one got much sleep around here ... and when I don't get sleep, watch out! Thankfully we're all settled in now and getting the hang of the routine. He's such a sweet little dog, with such suffering in his eyes. All he wants is love and to give you some smooches in return!

José has been an amazing "dog dad" and it's been such a help having him be so supportive. I think both Juanci and I are going to be pretty sad when he goes out of town Tuesday & Wednesday of this week!!

I will post some pictures soon. Please check out P4P's website - especially if you live in BA - to see the amazing things that they do and how you can help.

No comments: