23 January 2012

How is January over?

I am in awe of how fast time flies once you start to get older. It's really just nuts. Sometimes it helps when things aren't going your way and you really comprehend the meaning of "this too shall pass." Then there are moments where you feel like you got slapped in the face and have no idea where the past several weeks went.

We're still sweaty here. But talking about the heat in January here is like talking about the muggy days of August in DC. It would be newsworthy if it weren't happening. So unless we have a cold wave just assume that we're stuck under the a/c and avoiding any errands that involve being outside for extended periods of time.

Josey and I saw the film 50/50 yesterday. Wow, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is such an incredible actor. I hadn't forgotten about him, per se, but it just made me wish that there were more young actors like him in movies today. Not once did I think he was playing a part (the film is based on a true story about being diagnosed with cancer in your 20s). Seth Rogen, in his goofy glory, played the best friend ... and I loved him, although I wish he hadn't dropped so many F bombs. Kind of takes away after awhile. Beware, though: you'll end up in a puddle of your own tears at certain points and you'll even need a few minutes to compose yourself at the end. But it's worth it as it's an amazing story about the healing powers of friendship.

I think about getting a dog about every 5 minutes. I am wondering if this is normal or just some sad obsession I have that will never go away.

We have a wedding coming up - two months to be exact - and I was moaning and groaning since the bride wants the female guests to wear long dresses. In the US, perhaps not normally an issue - although I don't own a long dress and don't foresee myself ever needing to wear one again - but in Buenos Aires, clothes are expensive. Especially formal clothes. To top it off, the dresses here really aren't the same quality as what you'd find at Nordstrom or Bloomie's or whatever. Department stores don't exist. Most of these "elegant" gowns are made with feathers and pink sequins and aren't even lined. And cost upwards of $1,000 (dollars not pesos). I was not a happy camper. Thank the lord for Deb, who came through as always. She found a stunning RL black dress last week! It was priced at $174 but on sale for $43! Apparently it was mis-marked but since it wasn't her fault they let her have the dress at the reduced price. HELLO happiness. There was no way I was going to spend my hard earned money on some gross excuse for a gown here. Go Deb.

I have been trying to tackle one new recipe a week to expand my culinary abilities in 2012. I made some pretty good chicken empanadas and then tried to make some spicy beef ones too. Not a bad attempt! Although I ended up eating empanadas for about a week straight. They're just so practical. And when you slather them it hot sauce they taste good regardless. Will probably make another batch soon and freeze them so we always have a quick meal on hand. Upcoming recipes: Black bean burgers, and perhaps some more Asian-inspired dishes once I get my booty to Barrio Chino.

Happy Year of the Dragon, everyone!

No comments: