29 November 2008

I Said I Wanted Rain ...


But I didn't ask for a freaking flash flood akin to something out of the Bible. I guess it would have been fine - if we hadn't been arriving to the gym / soccer game just as the skies opened up and any functioning drainage system ( aka there isn't one ) decided to skip town.

Seriously. At around 6 p.m. the lovely thunderstorm that I had so been waiting for finally arrived, and it was cloudy and cozy and perfect. At around 6.03 p.m. the city devolved into chaos as every street EVER flooded and the sidewalks became little islands and cars floated down streets. The Indian, who of course thinks he is the coolest person IN the world, was like "ohhh yeahhh we're totally going to WALK to my game / the gym and it will be sooooo cool blah blah" - I was like, ok whatever, I guess it's better than waiting stubbornly alone in the car ( because at that point I figured the car would flood and float away and take me to a horrible place ). As we approach the fields - right on Av. Libertador in Nuñez - it's like a scene out of something we saw on the news from New Orleans or any other hurricane-y situation. Add to the mix thousands of angsty punk rawkers and ska kids who had descended on the place in hopes of attending some concert, and we're ripe for a nice little violent conflict with the police. Don't ask me why this all made sense at the time. I was busy doting on the German Shepherds being wielded by said corrupt policemen.

Anyhow. Indian still thinks that you know, all of his friends will be waiting there at the fields ( I said that they were going to be flooded. Wow, I was right. Why are men so stupid ) ready to mess around and play fake soccer. We forge ahead, and we can't even make it down the street that takes you to the soccer fields because it's flooded up to your waist. YOUR WAIST. EW. Pretty disgusting. At least I wasn't wearing nice clothes, or flip flops, or anything ... Not that it really makes a difference. We decide to wade back to McDonald's ( word had gotten out that they went there, along with 5 million other people ) and I cannot believe that I actually survived. I pray that my immune system is holding up for me, just in case.

5 minutes after making it to McD's we all just say, screw this we're going home. We trudge back through the hell that is floodwaters and find the Golcito. Miraculously, there wasn't ONE drop of water inside that car. I swear it's a tank. A little, miraculous tank.




Link to video from the news -- http://www.clarin.com/

No comments: