25 November 2008

Update

Ok sooooo let's see .... what have I been up to lately ?

Well, I have been making a lot of mental lists of things about which I would like to blog. However, I always forget the best little gems by the time I arrive home. It doesn't help that right now I am watching " The Secret Lives of Models " or something, and they are all trying to compete to see who has the best sob story about their lives. Wah.

For starters, it's hot. Really hot. It's nice. Minus when you are smushed on a bus for 45 minutes hoping you don't sweat every last pound off of your body before you reach home. But on the plus side, I will say that I am slowly but surely becoming a pretend-expert in the colectivos. I am completely in love with the 67, but have started to explore the joys of the 130 ... Hooray ! Although I'm sad that all of my little monedas are being wasted on the 0,90 needed to ride the bus. Katie told me that apparently you can buy packets of monedas that are secretly hidden in alfajores ... Strange but I am really not surprised, seeing as this is Buenos Aires.

We went to a nice little polo match on Sunday which was quite fabulous. Half of my body was tanned by the sun, so that is the only downfall I guess. We saw two games, the first was like the "B" team which was then followed by the "A" game - the first game was a little more exciting, but the second one was in the main field which was stunning. Perfect day, not a cloud in the sky, with a great urban backdrop. I have pictures, so I'll post those later. I wish I had pictures of the hot polo players. Yummy.

I have been trying to keep busy and get a little schedule / routine to avoid boredom, which some days is really easy, and others it seems a little more difficult. It's hard to keep busy all the time if you don't really have a lot of money and don't necessarily feel like riding the bus all day to kill time. I need to bring back books with me when I come back from Christmas so I can always have the option of going to the park for a while to sun and read. I guess for the next couple of weeks I will be busy studying for my tour guide-ism ... I have to beef up on my Argie and Porteño history before I can start giving private tours. I'm excited though !! Even though I will be starting right in the middle of the high season. I cannot complain because I need money and want to be busy ... But I guess it's always hard to get things started, or I mean it seems to be more of an "inconvenience" then it's nice once you find your rhythm.

For Thanksgiving I'm taking the Indian + Familia to Kansas for their special turkey dinner. Hooray !! America !! Kansas is a pretty legit restaurant actually that is always crowded and is more like an "American steakhouse" -- they serve huge portions, have great bbq ribs, etc ... I admit I am looking forward to it. I also feel so incredibly indebted to everyone for having helped me through these 2 months. I have had some really tough days here, but have always managed to keep on truckin' thanks to everyone who has listened to me whine or complain or bitch and moan. Thanks to Los Guris I have had a roof over my head, a nice washing machine, food, and love and hugs. I wish I could do more for them, but I know once I have my own apartment and some more money I will be able to pay them back in more ways.

Also, random side note. This past weekend was the first weekend in 2 months that we didn't go out either night. It makes me a little sad. Am I getting old ?

I am going insane with this whole issue about Residencia and whatnot. I am dying to have it all together, but I know it will take a while. The owners of the Alamo said that they had to wait a little more than a year, and that was just to get all of the correct papers together ... ughhh. Basically, once you have it all together you can get residencia in ONE DAY. ONE DAY, is that a joke ? No. But the gathering takes forever, because people don't know how to spell things here, or they don't make the perfect photocopy, etc. I am going to go in person tomorrow to Migraciones ( ugh ) to get a list of exactly what I need. I'm not sure how to do that though because I believe that I will need a job offer - which is supposed to arrive at my doorstep while I am NOT in Argentina apparently - or need to be married ( no way ), or a student at a University ( I have already passed that epoch, tear ).

I am happy because I finally bought ONE thing for my wardrobe. I got a really cute dress from my new favorite store, Complot, and a sassy belt. I also bought a new headflower ( Did I just admit that ? ) and socks. I steal socks from the Indian, and then he gets really, really irrationally bothered by that, and then makes me feel bad because I'm sockless. So I got some of my own pairs. As katie says, It's the season for socks ( ahem, I mean, as the old man selling socks on the train says ).

I went to Oui Oui with Mili and Katie the other day, which was heaven. I had a nice Palermo Friday and walked around all day alone and had happy conversation and now have happy memories. Then Saturday we had a little asado at Joaco's house, on his sunny terrace. Indian made the BEST BONDIOLA OF MY LIFE. I am still craving more.

All in all, life is really going well for me ... I feel good about my little job prospects and I am feeling energized by the sunshine. I am happy to come home for Christmas and cannot wait to see my family and eat so much Indian I will explode. But I am already excited to think about coming back here and having New Year's Eve: Summer version.

That was a boring update but I need to think more about what to write. Meow.

No comments: