27 October 2009

Fashion Footwear Faux Pas

Everyone thinks that Argentines are incredibly chic, stylish and elegant, but I would just like to shed light on a trend here that needs to be removed from life immediately.

In general, Argentines (women AND men) love Nike. Nike shoes, clothes, running gear, t-shirts, sneakers, etc. They just eat it right up. Which is cool. I'm all about Nike and I support it. Even though here it is pronounced exactly at it looks: Nike, as if it rhymed with "like." No thank you.

Porteños love those strange, amphibious looking, split-toe sandals that you can't walk 3 blocks down Av. Santa Fe without seeing at least 10 pairs of them. They come in all different kinds of colors, patterns, are worn with socks, without socks, skirts, jeans, shorts, leggings ... You name it, they do it.

Please, would someone tell me why they love these things so much ???



No comments: