18 January 2012

I am a Soap Hoarder

There are certain behaviors an expat might adopt when living in a country that rarely - if ever - sells products otherwise so easily available in the homeland. My classic reaction to the lack of (insert product here) is just to hoard like my life depends on it. Stockpile like there's no tomorrow. Dream about using said product, but never really doing so unless I have a lifetime supply ready in the wings.

I realize this is pathetic.

When I was home in November I fell in love with the winter pine Mistral soap (sold at Anthro). I already had a bar of the Mistral almond milk soap at home in BA, but I kid you not when I say I kept it in my closet so I could just smell it from time to time (and it would keep my clothes smelling lovely). I was on a mission to create a winter wonderland at our apartment despite the staggering heat, so I happily got myself a bar of the pine scented goodness. The packaging was just perfect; green and gold. So seasonal. Something you rarely see in BA.

I arrived back in Argentina, determined to transform our apartment into the North Pole. That didn't work out so well. But I had my winter pine soap there with me ... Sitting on the coffee table in the living room (??? what is my life) ready to transport me back to wintry Christmases of years gone by. Closing your eyes helps this illusion along. Trust me.

My mom sent us a little holiday package that arrived a few days before December 25th. Imagine my surprise - and joy - when I saw she had added yet another bar of winter pine soap just for me. I couldn't bring myself to actually open one of the bars and put it in our bathroom. Of course not. Why on Earth would I want other people to enjoy this little nugget of goodness? No! It's mine and mine alone.

Now one is happily tucked away with my ever-growing soap collection upstairs. The other slice of holiday cheer sits next to me here, at my desk, for me to sniff whenever the going gets tough.

I really hope I'm not the only one who does this.

1 comment:

Irina said...

Hi! I'm a fellow expat in Argentina and I just discovered your blog. It's been fun reading it so far and I can't wait for some news posts. I can tell you, you're not the only one hoarding! Things, such as paper napkins from your home country, become surprisingly valuable and I can't imagine letting someone who doesn't understand their value use them ;)