14 October 2008

Resumen


Happy Tuesday, everyone. I feel like it's Monday and I'm so freakin' tired I cannot even see straight. Let's just say it would have been smarter to celebrate the feriado the night BEFORE as opposed to the night of. I also have the weirdest neck pain and have sort of let my head hang out at a weird angle so it doesn't hurt.

Life here is going great. The job search of course, is pretty frustrating, but I expected that to be the case. Last week I went to a big Job Fair - IBM, Accenture, DirectTV, Quilmes, and other big companies were there. Honestly it wasn't perhaps the greatest thing - you would wait in line and talk to a "representative" of the company and they would do a mini-interview. I was fine with the introductions and the small talk, but when questions about what I majored in arose, I started getting the looks of confusion. Oooook, so being a philosophy major isn't prudent in the Third World. I can understand that. But come on ! Don't shuffle my papers to the bottom of the pile ! I have experience, and I like to think I have a lot to bring to the table. So we'll see where all of this goes ... This week I'm supposed to be meeting with a few solid contacts and I pray that it just works out. Le sigh. How come nannies in Buenos Aires don't make the moola like NYC nannies ? Maybe I just need to seek out the richest family and stalk them until they hire me to do something menial. Hmm ....

I'm including a picture of a llama that I bonded with at the Zoo on Saturday. Stupidly I forgot my camera so the quality on this one is purely cell-phone camera garbage. I also saw a camel, but he looked sad and lonely so I felt bad for him:



But I digress. I'm finding it hard to remain patient and understanding regarding the lack of respect Argies seem to have for others when it comes to phone calls and emails, or basically anything professional or important. At home, if someone says "yes I will call you this week" they really will call you that week. It doesn't devolve into some wild goose chase, replete with chamuyo excuses and the like. If I'm going to put a positive spin on it, which of course I should, I'll say that it forces one to be more tenacious and to really go after something that you want. I cannot help but wonder what they're doing all day ... drinking café con leche, smoking in the plaza, hanging out with the random cops on the corner and comparing cell phones. I really have no idea. But I love them.

I was ecstatic last night to dine at Sifones & Dragones yet again. A friend from Spain was in town and we took him out for dinner and then out for infamous and fabulous giant jars of g&t's from Bangalore in Palermo. It was quite the evening, full of stories from the mountain and tales of a nomad. It was also wonderful to see Favio / Tato back in his element, cooking amazing Italian food with flare. Bangalore makes me die because every time I walk in I smell CURRY and just want to stuff my face forever with it. In a perfect world, I would be the mafia owner of millions of Indian restaurants all over Buenos Aires, importing the best spices and food and then eating them all day long until I fall into a food coma. It makes me miss Sissy in London ... eating curry and lentils all the day long ! Not fair !

I should probably get back to the daily grind, emailing, calling, leaving messages, praying that someone will pity me and hire me. I'm starting to wonder if I could just be a professional student. Like, can they pay me to do that ? I guess that's what professors and those types do. I'm really good at studying, and writing, and reading a lot of things at once. I'm not going to lie, I would love to be writing a thesis write now ... Did I really just say that ? It's driving me mad. I'm sure my efforts will yield some success ... I would just like to get a job, get a lovely little place in Palermo, wander and frolic to the fruit and veg vendors, drink coffee on the terrace and enjoy weekend asados.

That's all for today. I must start taking pictures. Last night I took my camera with me but the Catalán and the Indio weren't much for reminding me to document the evening. C'est la vie.

No comments: