
Alright folks. Wow my brain feels fried from the weirdest sleeping schedule I have been keeping. Let's just say I need to increase my caffeine intake, stat.
Friday I met up with a friend of a friend from BC who is in Arg on a little 3 week vacation from work. We went to Milion, my favorite antiquated mansion renovated into a posh lounge and restaurant, for some caipiroskas. I had one too many. Surprise. This normally would not have been a problem if I hadn't promised him an afternoon of sightseeing around BA. I woke up feeling pretty much deflated but it felt good to walk ... All the way from Las Cañitas down Av. Libertador until we reached the Recoleta Cemetery. We refueled at another favorite spot of mine, Rodi Bar, and I made my way home.
Saturday was the main event. The fiesta of all fiestas. Creamfields 2008. Radical. Some incredible DJ's ... David Guetta, Hernan Cattaneo, Gorillaz, Steve Lawler. It was at the Autodromo, which I think translates to "giant field with a race track in the middle, lots of random trees, no cellphone service, and if the wind blows in the wrong direction, a nice smell of dog pee/poo" -- Ok, I kid. It was awesome. This year about 60,000 people showed up. A little too many in my opinion but there were multiple stages/tents so you could find exactly what you wanted in terms of music and room to dance.
About half of those 60,000 people are some of the weirdest people I have seen in my life. Weird costumes, wigs, face paint, metallic leggings, et al ... I guess it's the kind of music that attracts a crowd like that. It was great people watching for sure.
We went to see Guetta but since he is so popular, the tent was literally overflowing with people, aka super uncomfortable because every 4 seconds people pushed past you and such. But we heard about half of his set and it was really great. Then we went to the other side of the field to some other random tent and stayed there the rest of the night - Steve Lawler, Satoshie Tomie, and Martín García I think. I took a couple of pictures on my cellphone because I knew it would have been a bad idea to bring the dig.


They don't really show anything but whatever. Great night, a lot of dancing, great people. It was a fun group - Indian, 2 of his good friends forever, and then Joaco and his little posse of skydiving friends from Uruguay and Córdoba. It took forever to get out of the parking fiasco but it was really funny to keep the people watching going ... to see what the freaks of nature look like under the light of day.
I barely slept on Sunday day, and then had to wake up this morning at 7 A.M. so you can probably imagine that my face feels like it's throbbing.
BUT I am proud of myself for saving anywhere from 35 - 60 pesos by taking the dreaded colectivo this morning to the Hotel Alvear. I had to be there at 8.45 and was planning on just calling a remise ( car service that charges by Km, unlike metered taxis ) ... but the Indian kind of made fun of me for being pathetic and told me to just suck it up and take the bus. Buenos Aires has an incredibly comprehensive city bus system, most lines of which run 24 hours ( or almost all 24) and take you literally anywhere you need to go. It's actually pretty awesome but the system can be intimidating / annoying / smelly / frustrating / TAKE FOREVER. But I hopped on the 67 and it took me directly where I needed to go. Seriously. It dropped me off right in front of the hotel. It was pretty fabulous, despite the fact it took about 50 minutes. I even took it home too, and hopped off feeling quite proud of myself, even though there are people that do this all day, every day, from the time they are schoolchildren until they are 900 years old.
I'm needing some more sleep. Last night we watched the new Indiana Jones, and I cannot believe I wasted 2+ hours on it. It was so pathetic. I miss the old Indy days. Speaking of that, I want to see the new James Bond .. it opened in Argentina before it opened in the US ! Woo. Go 3rd World.
Ok that's all for now. I still need to maybe do an election-related post. I'll get around to that ... Meh.
1 comment:
THIS SOUNDS SO AWESOME.
Post a Comment