21 May 2009

To Celebrate Monday's Holiday

Strikes will abound all over Capital !! Yaaaaaay hooray.

1. Banks
2. Meat refrigerator people
3. People in the food service industry
4. Long-distance bus companies

Are going on strike, some of them the whole weekend. What a wonderful way to celebrate 25 de Mayo than with less than stellar infrastructure and more discontent? I can't wait for the taxi drivers to go on strike again. That will be really fun.

In better news.
The colectivo card is almost here !! Today I was basically ecstatic when I saw this smelly old man paying for his bus fare with the magnetic card thing rather than with coins. Yep, Buenos Aires still hasn't caught on and people can only pay for the bus with spare change. Not even paper bills. No sir. Anyway, on the 68 today this old man had one, and I saw another man with one on my way home.

But of course there is a catch ...

Only certain bus lines are using these cards. And each bus line has its own specific magnetic card. Therefore you can't use the same one to ride both the 68 and the 152. They're apparently doing this as a "temporary measure" until the "official" and supposedly universal magnetic card comes out. Sometime in the next 10 years I'm sure.

So I guess it's not the best news in the world, but it's a start.

I wish I had my little poncho to drive around town, even though I can't drive.

No comments: