13 August 2011

Darkness at Noon


Yesterday was a peculiar day in terms of weather here in Buenos Aires. Thunderclaps and heavy rains woke me up around dawn and from there, things didn't get much better. I love a good storm, since it's a perfect excuse to be cozy and curl up with a movie. The weather here can get pretty wacky though, as hail and intense flooding are much more common than I would have thought!

All morning the rains (and hail) were off and on, often blocking any possible view of buildings or the sky beyond. Things got really crazy around mid-day, however, when we left the apartment to head out for lunch ... and it was so dark it was as if it were 9pm outside. The streetlights had all been turned on, the sky had this eerie green/gray tone to it, and I was convinced that the world was about to end that very minute.

The photo posted is from Reuters, found here, which is worth taking a gander at if you feel like seeing dark skies and people fighting with their umbrellas.

No comments: