What an awful title for a blog post. Sorry. I actually banged my head really hard today on the floor at the gym and I am feeling a little woozy. Already took a little nap but am still a little "blah."
Anyway, it's not news that I've been itching to re-do the apartment. In a bad way. Enough with the small changes, like infiltrating bits from Anthropologie home to soften up the look of everything. Jose has lived here for almost 11 years and I've been in the apartment for 2. It's time for a change !!!
Unfortunately, Buenos Aires - while often regarded as a great "city of design" - doesn't have the most varied offerings when you set out to buy things for the home. Those who have the most original homes rely on people who custom-make pieces for them (which actually ends up being a cheaper option, which is nice). However, this demands a lot of creativity and sometimes I wish I could just stroll around town and be presented with tons of interesting, innovative and creative ideas!! The shops here tend to present one of two or three design aesthetics: ultra-modern and minimalist, with lots of eco-cuero and steel, "campo rústico" with lots of natural woods and Northern fabrics, or some kind of middle ground between the two that results in total ... blandness.
Now that I'm at the point where I am starting to hate every piece of furniture in the apartment (I'm sorry Josey) I've decided to just take action. Might as well - Not sure how much longer this glorious unemployment period is going to last !!! The real problem is this: because everything in the dining/living room kind of matches (they are pieces that all come from the same place) the possibility to swap in/out just a few items is rendered nearly impossible. If I want a new dining table, we'll need new chairs too. Same with the side board. Yesterday I made some serious progress in the living room - changed up the layout and made it much more functional and beautiful. We just need a new coffee table, a rug, some window treatments and that should be enough.
This is becoming a long post about nothing, without pictures! Sorry. If you want a mental image just envision this - BROWN. Brown Brown Brown. I live in the Brown House. Really. I mean, I love brown. Don't get me wrong. But not when the dining room is DARK brown, the coffee table is a BIG BROWN SQUARE, the rugs are BROWN, the tv room couch is BROWN, that rug and table are BROWN. EVEN THE WALL IS BROWN !!!!!!!!!
Spring is here, and the colors will be flooding in.
14 September 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment