15 September 2011

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Beware: I'm about to whine right now. So if you don't feel like putting up with my bratty complaints, come back later and I won't even be upset. Really.

Living abroad comes with a complex array of situations that I'd never really considered before moving to Buenos Aires. I suppose that if you are moving to a place like Port-au-Prince you aren't expecting people to ask when is the best time to visit, but when I decided to move to Argentina I heard lots of "omg how cool! I want to come! Malbec and leather! Steak and ice cream! I can't wait!"

Multiply that by about ... 50, and you're left with a lot of expectations and hopes that your friends will be popping down to visit you. Unfortunately, you've forgotten to factor in several things. First let's start with the obvious: means. Flights to South America are not cheap, and 20-somethings in New York (and elsewhere) aren't known for being in the highest income brackets. Second: Time. I take a little bit of issue with this one, because although a 10 hour flight seems like it will waste a day on either end of your trip, since it's overnight (and with no jet lag!) this isn't really an excuse. One could feasibly take a week's vacation to Buenos Aires and not feel as though it took them half of that time to get there.

Here is where my whine will tug on the heartstrings (honestly). Living far away is hard. You miss your family, your (old) best friends, your old life and all of the things you've known forever. It's hard not to succumb to the envy associated with missing out on big events - new jobs, new relationships, engagements, and all of the happy moments in between. Magnified by a distance difficult to fathom, you're forced to cling to the glimmers of hope brought by the potential of a visit.

It's about feeling connected. Relevant. Remembered.

Because here's the thing - Life goes on. People move on. Once you fall off the radar, life follow its natural course (naturally). It's part of what I love about living here - I've managed to meet an incredible amount of interesting and wonderful people, all thanks to the ebbs and flow of life that bring them to Buenos Aires. Sometimes I feel like I would give my right arm to be able to share my life with those who have known me since before 2008 (when I moved).

The hardest part is seeing friends - who I've met here - have their weekends taken up with visitor after visitor, always making plans and doing the obvious tourist traps to show them the city. These people have been in BA less time than I have ! How come their friends have been to visit them and mine haven't? I know why ... but at the same time, I don't. Really, not one friend has been here to see me.

There's almost never a completely perfect time to take a trip: there is always work to be done, other things to do and see, and money to be saved. But I feel like part of being in your 20s is throwing crap in a suitcase and making a wacky decision. Buenos Aires, why not? Sure! See you there. I mean, I did it after all ....

I warned you. This was a whiny post. I just had to get it off my chest - again - after trying to redirect my envy and frustration about this whole issue. Sure, I'm about to turn 25 but that doesn't mean I have to stop being immature!


No comments: