
Let's just say that yesterday got off to a wonderful start. We had a nice leisurely morning while getting ready for the busy afternoon/evening that waited for us. Jose and I made it down to Puerto Madero about an hour before the We Run Buenos Aires 10k was supposed to kick off. Since I wasn't able to run, but had registered for the race (pre-injury, I'm not that much of a wannabe!), I was convinced to wear the race t-shirt along with everyone else. I felt like a total dork but it helped me blend in (among 15,000 people it's not that hard, but anyway) and I figured it's better to dress in a semi-athletic fashion when at a massive athletic event.
Eventually, we all kind of mashed toward the starting line. Since I was the non-runner of the group, I was the portable coat check with the backpack full of water, jackets/long-sleeved shirts, cell phones, etc weighing me down. Before I knew it, the race had started and I was crossing the starting line with everyone else! Mind you, it's basically impossible (and also incredibly stupid) to try to stop/walk when you have masses of people behind you ready to run 10k. My plan was to just cross with everyone and then ditch off to the side straight away. Unfortunately, Nike had put up some serious barriers and I felt like they were neverending; it was impossible to find a seamless exit from the race course! I finally found a gap between two and kind of shoved myself in between them. It was a good 2-block little trot there. My knee hurts now so I've got that going for me. Ugh I miss running so much.
Fast forward. Everyone finished - Jose's time was great, 52:30 - and we had to rush back home to get ready for our Indian feast (part of the week-long Indian Cultural Festival) with some friends. When I found out that it was all you can eat, full-on buffet style, my heart exploded with joy. The wine flowed, and the curry wasn't far behind. The food was delicious, and managed to distract me from the awfully kitschy decor (a la Bollywood, no doubt) and overpowering sitar (I will admit, the guy playing was really good, although I kept expecting a Beatles song to come over the stereo or something, reminiscent of the days when George got really into Bangladesh and the late 60s/early 70s started to take root).
I ate. And ate. And ate.
The death knell. Little fried balls of heavenly dough, soaked in sugar/rose water syrup.
I've had them several times before and have never been able to resist. Oh man, oh man.
Bad news bears. I ate three and was immediately immobilized. Like, unable to stand up, walk, breathe or think without severe discomfort. I even had a little digestive tea afterward and it didn't help. I was in for a doozy.
After dinner, we all piled into our friend's car to start off on our trek around the city for Noche de los Museos. We had driven all of 1 block when I felt an extreme urge to throw myself out of the car and into anywhere but a moving vehicle. I had to bow out of a fun night that I had so badly wanted to be a part of, and ended up watching old-ish episodes of SNL and Top Chef on the couch while I strained not to move or do anything that would upset the insane quantity of food and liquid in my stomach.
Definitely not an ideal end to what could have been an ideal evening.
I slept until 1pm today, something that I almost never do, because I had finally managed to fall asleep a little after 3am. The day has been grey and ugly, so we didn't miss out on much. I caught up on some news on the iPad, made a smoothie, used up the rest of the veg in the fridge to make Gazpacho round 2, tried to see if I could remember how to do a real push up, and looked for bridesmaid's dresses that can accommodate pregnant bellies. Rather productive, given the circumstances.
And here we are, listening to the Scissor Sisters and Girl Talk, getting ready for the show on Friday. I haven't gotten my ticket yet because I just found out that if I buy $350 of anything from the Paseo Alcorta mall (not hard at all, given inflation and my itch for retail therapy) I get a free ticket! Woowee! It's a win-win, people.

No comments:
Post a Comment