I just had a delicious lunch down at Pura Vida and my belly is full of fruit & veg and extremely happy. We need to run out to the supermarket to get some more fruit so this weekend I can keep on blending! Sad, but true.
Just some random thoughts. These past weeks have been full of wedding planning/logistical details blargh. I was kind of bummed (as I'm sure my mom was too!) that things really weren't 100% resolved at the end of my trip in September. There really was/is a lot to do - maybe not the "big" things but we don't have the invites yet (I have such expensive taste apparently. The invites we had decided on two months back would end up costing us over $2,000. Better luck next time.) I don't believe in skimping on the important details but I also don't believe in going overboard just because. It's ONE DAY. Not even a whole day! I obviously want things to be spectacularly perfect because I'm Type A, but I can't imagine trying rationalize some of the outrageous things that brides demand/want/purchase/make other people purchase for the Big Day.
Part of me is happy that I'm not working full, full time (two part time jobs keep me busy but I wouldn't say they add up to a complete 9-6 every day) so I can at least spend some time looking at my favorite wedding blogs for ideas and just general eye candy. The other part of me is just like still in awe at the fact that some people put so much energy and expectation to this one day in their lives. Of course it's supposed to be happy and perfect and amazing and fun and all the rest - but I'm not sure if I would hope for it to be the "best day of my life." I just feel like there should be so much more happiness and joy beyond that day! That the marriage, not the wedding, should be what you're most excited about. To be honest I'm exhausted just thinking about all of the work and blood/sweat/tears that go into a mere 8 hour event! That's not saying that I don't care at all about how it turns out, of course I do, but I just wonder where our expectations and priorities are. Obviously everyone is different and I'm really not in any position to judge, but I just hope that if I were like trying to drag on the whole "I'm getting married I'm the bride omg omg!" thing much beyond the actual wedding ... well, I hope that someone close to me would give me a good slap.
Because at the end of the day, after fighting with my mom over the most minute little detail like the exact color of the envelope liner, I sit down to dinner with Josey and I just realize why I am so excited for June 4th. It's not because I get to wear a beautiful white dress, and it's not because of the gift registry. It's because I get to spend my life with my (cue cliche) best friend/running buddy/Indian food companion/puzzle partner/music buff/personal sommelier! How exciting and amazing is that? I'm sure that is why brides really just beam on their big day. The event is a blur; if you're lucky you might even get a bite of dinner or manage to step back and enjoy the event that has taken so long to create. The material objects and goods just melt away. It's not about being "the Bride" and buying an entirely white wardrobe to drive the point home. It's about cherishing a love that to you is so unique and so special that it deserves its own celebration.
12 November 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
paigey i love you, that was so perfectly stated I want to print it out and frame it. i'm so happy for you and jose!
Post a Comment