25 November 2010

Thanksgiving!

Well here I am again. One year later and I can't believe how much time has passed! It really feels like just yesterday that I had very little notice that I was in charge of roasting the turkey, in addition to buying flowers and dessert and getting everything else ready for our Thanksgiving feast here at Basavilbaso.

This year I knew I was going to do the turkey so at least I had that part more or less taken care of. José is also in town today, unlike last year when he had just gotten home from a business trip to sit down to dinner -- so I have a little helper! I am so excited for tonight. A good friend and her entire family are coming to the house, and since they're 5 they are making a bevy of dishes. Seriously amazing. I am definitely thankful for THAT! It just leaves me to turkey, home decor, and a potato/leek gratin that I am going to whip up.

Road block: I have this really nice French ceramic baking dish, but I'm not 100% sure that it can go into the oven!! I mean, it's French, so it has to be nice, right? Nice = heat resistant. Right? Fingers crossed. Otherwise I'll be running out to the store like, 10 minutes ago to go get a replacement. I really don't want to have a gigantic messy gratin disaster on my hands 20 minutes before guests arrive ... HELP !! MOM !!

It's 900 degrees today. Typical. That's why Thanksgiving is celebrated in the autumn, not on the verge of a broiling summer. I wish I had some sangria on hand ... Hm ... maybe I could whip up a quick batch.

Ok - back later with turkey updates. SOS !

No comments: