
Today was Day 1 of Paige's Unemployment Extravaganza. Sleeping in until 9:30 felt luxurious and it was such a relief to eat breakfast while leisurely watching the news, thinking up ideas for the day. The sun has been shining for the past 3 days and things have warmed up! My plants are so happy. My little succulent has exploded into joy - I must document its growth. I think he is lonely and needs more succulent friends, so perhaps a trip to the little nursery in Barrio Norte will be on my list this week.
Anyway. Life is good. If winter doesn't get any colder I can completely deal with this. It is so nice to open up the windows and porch doors of the apartment at mid-day and let the breeze run through.
What else? Well, today I treated myself to a little shopping (why not start off a period of frugality with a bang? Right.) at Patio Bullrich. FINALLY, finally the "Sales" are real! Oh how they had tricked me in the past. $50 pesos off is not a sale, it's a favor. However, now I am discovering little gems that are now 50% off from 2 months ago! Joy! Jubliance! Liberty! It was a happy moment for me (and my wallet). I will say that while I did indulge myself today, I only bought items that I know I will wear several times or that can be combined in a variety of ways. Obviously this is common sense but I have been trying to be a little more realistic these days and not just go wild because I am a capricious chica.
José had to spend the day fasting for his 3:45 MRI (or something along those lines, basically just to make sure his brain and thorax are still fine so many years after his near death experiences. Side note: He is OK and healthy as a horse), so after spending some quality time at the Diagnóstico we went for a yummy merienda (basically afternoon tea) at our weekend breakfast spot, Dos Escudos (a BA classic). I love to watch the little old people who come in together for some tea and sandwiches as they read the newspaper or discuss/complain about things. They're all so proper, with their plaid scarves and nice topcoats ... I greatly enjoy how much pride the porteños take in their appearances.

Speaking of that. I caught a couple of minutes of a show on NatGeo this afternoon - I was captivated by the images of India (Rajasthan to be specific) and lingered to see what it was all about. Dis-a-ppointed. The "hosts" of this show (no idea what it's called) were 3 complete idiots, typical ugly Americans who stomped around India in their Harvard t-shirts, cargo shorts and Rainbow sandals. I was appalled. What an awful example to set - I sound like a concerned mother but honestly I don't care - to your viewers! You are supposed to be an ambassador of culture and new experiences, and instead of attempting to adapt even the slightest bit to their new surroundings, here are the 3 Stooges putzing around without even a hint of sensitivity to their (albeit temporary) host country. Sorry to go off on this rant, but I feel that it is important for everyone to be open to assimilation and adaptation, especially while traveling. How hard is it to dress APPROPRIATELY? Were thse people raised in a barn? Honestly! If you have enough money to take the year off to travel around the world (part of the show's premise if I recall), you can stop off at j.crew and get a nice pair of pants.
Anyway, after our nice afternoon tea I decided to play in my closet. I love rediscovering outfits and playing dress up! (Although it's lonely without a sister or close friend to do it with.) Currently I am wearing my fabulous Alice+Olivia sequined dress that Deb and Redmere picked out for me on Super Insane Amazeballs Sale two years ago. (Honestly, I think they got it for $75 marked down from $550). I prance and embrace the joy.
And I leave you with one of my favorite pictures of all time:
No comments:
Post a Comment