I used to brag that winter in Buenos Aires was like 45 degrees (which it really was/is, save for 3 weeks in August when it's really brisk), but this past week has been absolutely frigid. The "Cold Wave" that has swept the country is at the top of the news all. day. long. It's all anyone can talk about. It does make me laugh, given that I come from a place where winter frequently means at least one big snowstorm a year, and I studied in a city that is notorious for its interminable and absolutely brutal winters. After living in Argentina, though, one tends to get accustomed to the balmier temperatures and incredibly agreeable climate.
The last time it snowed in Buenos Aires was in July of 2007 - which had been the first time in 89 years! - but just last night it snowed (more like a dusting) in several parts of the Province, as well as all over the rest of the country. Tonight we watched all of the videos that viewers had sent in to the national news channel, TN, and it was fun to see how excited they all were for just a few centimeters of icy snow. I feel like it goes without saying that down in the Patagonia region and in the cordillera of the Andes, snow + winter go more than hand in hand. I would love to get away for a little ski vacation before Spring rolls around, and we might make it down to Bariloche before we're off to the US. Fingers crossed...
Other than the freezing temperatures (I do fear for my little plants, although the begonias that Sonia brought me are apparently only happy when it's cold, which makes me happy), life is good. Work was supposed to end TOMORROW but I was asked to say a week+ because the girl they hired had a trip planned and can't make it back any earlier. It actually worked out great because she is a friend of a friend and I am so happy that they chose her! It makes training more fun since we already knew each other - having a stranger sit next to you for a whole day might be kind of odd. So it has been fun and I am glad that the transition will be good for everyone. I was pretty bummed about having to stay extra just because I was so mentally prepared for tomorrow to be my last day. But life doesn't usually turn out the way we want it to.
What else? Oh, yay! Gay Marriage was approved by the Senate today ... Joy! It really does make me happy to know that despite all of the other wackiness that goes on in Argentina, at least some things seem to be on the right track. I mean, I don't think that giving the OK to gay marriage is going to solve the nation's problems, because let's be honest, they're worse than anyone can handle. But it is comforting to think that it's not a completely backwater place to live. Although I am counting the days until the economy implodes again and we start living off the money we have hidden in our proverbial mattress.
"Something's Gotta Give" is on and can I just say that when I am older, I want to be Diane Keaton (or whatever character she plays in her films because for me, they are one and the same). I adore her house in the Hamptons and its to die for neutral color scheme and shelves full of books. Sigh. I just need to re-do EVERYTHING in our apartment (even though I love it, I think I am just restless and want to change things up because I'm bored and feeling creative).
Josey isn't home since it's his friend's birthday but he was waiting for me when I came home and we tried to stay warm and watched some fun shows on Nat Geo before he went off into the tundra. I am just so lucky to have Josey. He makes me happy and we smile over curry. What else could a girl want?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment