13 July 2010
Sea Shells
I have always been a huge fan of collecting shells, scanning the sand as I stroll along the shore, filling pockets and bags with my finds. I was taken back to my last seashell expedition (Punta, this past February) when I scrolled through this fabulous NYT slide show which presents some of the best images from "The Book of Shells" (Note to self: buy that book). My favorites are the Angel Wings pictured above, as well as this rare shell from the 18th century that apparently sold for 6 times the amount of a famous Vermeer painting in the same auction! I also go crazy for the two featured below, so perfect! I remember being fascinated by the shell posters in my math and sciences classes as well .... wondering how something so whimsically enchanting could also be a perfect example of Fibonacci numbers and perfect spirals and the like.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment