31 July 2010

Mediterranean Getaway...

Although we're still months away from the wedding, Josey and I have already had tons of fun thinking up ideas for our honeymoon destination. My wanderlust has gotten the best of me, as usual, and I have spent hours looking at maps and atlases dreaming up the greatest trip of all time (in my mind at least!). I tend to be more "adventurous" (read: open to hopping through Third World countries) than José, but I have decided to compromise and stick to "First World" locales when it comes to this trip. After all, it is our honeymoon, and it's probably best not to go to places known for piracy, drug/human trafficking, relationships with the Khmer, or anything else along those lines.

After some brainstorming a few months back, we're thinking of heading over to the Mediterranean to make our way through northern Italy, the south of France, and Spain. I think I am most excited about Spain, since I am dead-set on Barcelona and San Sebastían (and Basque country in general) and the culinary deliciousness that will come along with it. The New York Times has been a trove of fodder to get me in the mood, and today was no different. "A Dining Explosion in a Tiny Basque Town" drove me wild! I drool and die and need pintxos immediately.

Side Note: It doesn't help that I'm still enjoying every last bit of Anthony Bourdain's "Medium Raw" and lingering over every detail of food porn within the pages. I could have finished it weeks ago but I am truly relishing every little anecdote and commentary on some of the most important people and ideas in the food world. (I understand that writing this makes me sound like a pretentious "foodie" - and I have to admit that I really, really do not like that word. Hopefully you don't think I am falling into "that" category. You know which one I'm talking about.)

Please, let it be June 2011 right now!! I need to be drinking some sangría with José in Spain, after having made our way from Padua and Nice to the Michelin-studded Basque country.

No comments: