23 July 2010

What is it with these people and fire drills?

Seriously. Do I live in a world of candid camera hilarity?

Today, after much preparation and advance notice, the fire alarm went off in the building today for a little dry run / fire drill practice. I had sent out an email, advised everyone to cancel or re-schedule meetings, given that we would all be expected to evacuate the building upon hearing the alarm.

So why, when it actually DID go off today, did everyone look at me like a crazy person when I got my coat on and started to leave the office? Literally. They all said "Do we have to go? Nah, let's just stay here, I don't want to get up. No one will know. Paige, why don't you go downstairs and see if it's for real."

Wow.

I barely made it to the door when I heard EVERYONE ELSE IN THE 9 STORY BUILDING going down the stairs toward the exit. Mind you, the day is sunny and balmy, nearly 55 degrees, and it would have been a perfect excuse to get some fresh air and take a break from work! But apparently they were not able to see that benefit, only able to focus on the reality that they truly believe themselves to be so important that the rules simply do not apply to them.

I said I was going and if they were comfortable with burning in the eternal flames, that was their issue, not mine.

No comments: