Yesterday José and I were up with the sun to run the Reebok 10k. We did the same last year, with the same moaning and groaning, asking each other the night before "Are you suuuuure you want to do this?" secretly hoping that the other will say "Nah, let's just stay in bed tomorrow" so you'll be off the hook. In 2009 there was a ton of fog that morning, but it wasn't that cold. Unfortunately, the "cold wave" came back just for Sunday morning (after a torrential downpour on Friday, another less than ideal kink in the climate), and it was just above freezing when we left the house at 8 AM.
I have never been so cold in my life. Ok, I definitely have, back in the days of Boston when my ears would freeze while walking between classes, but everyone knows that the cold there is inhuman and completely insane. Buenos Aires has palm trees - winter shouldn't have anything to do with temperatures that hover above the freezing mark. Anyway ... We didn't even run to the start of the race (what we usually do to warm up -literally - especially since it's not too far from the house), driving halfway and walking the rest. Stupidly, we didn't have gloves, so I will accept any and all comments that have anything to do with "You are a complete and utter fool. BUY SOME GLOVES." When the race started, I have never felt such numbness in my hands and arms. I couldn't feel them for the remainder of the race, something that I think affected my time. I felt like I was moving in slow motion and that my body couldn't accelerate - a really weird feeling when you know for a fact that you're going about 12.5 km/hour (not an incredibly slow pace for a long-ish race).
All in all, we did great. We finished in 55:05, not bad for 10k - it's like a 9 minute mile. I am convinced that with NORMAL temperature conditions, I would have finished in 53 minutes, but I will use my disappointment to train harder for the next race that will come with the onset of Springtime. Unfortunately, I am so, so sore today that walking is a chore and I am currently sitting with bags of frozen peas and green beans on both of my knees! If only someone could bring me a big glass of Malbec ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment