12 August 2010

Adventures in Textile

Yesterday I roamed around the neighborhood with my friend from Oxford in search of fabric to recover the dining room chairs and some other things in the house. That probably sounds like punishment to most people, but every time I walk down Arenales, which has a 5 block run that is interior design stores, filled with fabrics and rugs and other fun things, I yearn for textiles. After a nice long coffee we set out on our quest. I managed to get some really good ideas for the chairs and everything else, but I was surprised at how uniform the selection was; after going to two or three places I started to see that their general selection was the same. Annoying.

At one store, we were greeted by a child who was rolling around on the floor among dust bunnies and stray scraps of fabric. Her mother was quite wrapped up in her search so she didn't seem to mind. I am always perplexed by these situations. Does anyone actually enjoy having to put up with or just plain be around children who are clearly ignored by their parents? The little ones always end up doing idiotic things like throw themselves on dirty floors and things of that nature. She kind of looked like a boxcar child or something, her face was all smudged and due to the floor-rolling she had a serious case of static-y hair.


I'm so excited for next week - on Monday we're going to dinner at a friend's who lives in the Kavanagh building. It's right across the plaza from our house so it's also a quick little sojourn. It used to be the tallest building in South America back when it was first built. The woman who lives there has these fantastic stories about Perón and the military dictatorship and all of these other crazy events ... It's so enthralling to listen to her talk about them, especially over a nice bottle of grappa.So now I am watching Seinfeld and browsing Net-a-Porter. I am particularly intrigued by the Michael Kors cashmere body suit.

No comments: