I make no secret of my crush on Adrian, the witty genius behind the "Thoughts of a Foreigner" blog and the man behind the news roundups at the paper where I work, The Argentina Independent. When I read his presentation of current events in and around Argentina I can't help but laugh out loud (right before I hang my head and weep because it's all so pathetic and true). For those who don't live in BA, it's a fun way to sneak a glimpse into life in crazytown, and for those of us who are brave enough to weather the tough times, it provides a strong (and much-needed) dose of comic relief.
Here is the link to this week's roundup. I have to include some of my favorite excerpts though, it's just too good.
"....So in closing, this whole debacle can only be attributed to the extreme ideological differences between President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner (Victory Front party, center-left) and Buenos Aires City Mayor Mauricio Macri (PRO party, center-right) who keep fighting over the stupidest things every day. Oh, just fuck already."
"Welcome to Argentina, Michael Buble! And now that you’re married to an Argentine chick, the country is ready to make you feel at home. That’s why, while you were celebrating the joys of holy matrimony in an over the top party with your family last Saturday, robbers broke into your wife’s house and stole a bunch of stuff. And every expat knows that nothing says “welcome to Argentina” like getting robbed on the second day you move here! So in fact, you should be flattered by the whole thing. It means you’ve joined the club! (Although I admit that throwing your wife’s VCR and DVD players in the swimming pool just for fun may have been too much). Come to think of it, who the fuck owns a VCR in 2011? I say, throw that shit in there."
09 April 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment